Monday, April 23, 2012

To Kill A Mockingbird

You know the line in the song, "Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird"?  Can I just say, "if you ever really bought your child a mockingbird - you would be one terrible parent!"


This is the Mama Bird!  Do not buy her for your children!

 For the past several summers our yard has been plagued with mockingbirds.  While they are beautiful birds and I like the idea of them, to actually live with them is extremely challenging.  Mockingbirds are obnoxiously territorial and behave as though your entire yard is their domain.  They squawk constantly when you are outside, and they dive bomb anything in sight.  Bicyclists, the mailman, squirrels, our poor cat - no one is safe.  Honestly, I feel like I'm in a scene from The Birds when I try to go from my car to the house.


Anyway, our side yard is a rose garden and since we have been blessed with a lot of rain this spring, the roses are growing like crazy.  One of my roses is a miniature, red, climbing rose, and it has turned into what Edward refers to as "The Mother Weed".  It is in desperate need of being cut back.


Lucky for me, NOT, the mockingbirds decided to build their nest IN my rose bush this year.  Great!  Now that the rain has tapered off, there is much work that needs to be done in the rose garden, and I can't get anywhere near it!

Here are two of the babies peeking out at me.  One is inside the heart.

Well, never let it be said that I cannot live with nature.  Since I really did not wish to kill or hurt the mockingbirds, especially when their babies were enjoying the protection of my roses so much, I decided we would have to find a way to get along together.  Arming myself with Edward's Indiana Jones leather hat and the garden hose set on jet spray - I bravely entered the rose garden.

We actually did quite well.  While I did endure hour upon hour of screams from the parents, they seemed to finally realize that no harm was going to come their little ones, and they never attacked.


I can't say that we are friends, and I am truly delighted that the babies have now flown the nest.  The parents are still letting me know that they are keeping their eyes on me, but at least I can get near "The Mother Weed" to give her some attention.  And, it's nice to report that no animals, or humans, were harmed in the gathering of material for this post!  

Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)