Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Gazpacho

Sooooo.......have you noticed it is summer?  I didn't realize it was going to be this busy, but I guess I should have considering we still have a 14 and 16 year old at home.  In addition to keeping up with their activities, in the last month we have painted and are redecorating several rooms in our house, have dealt with a plumbing hiccup, have hosted 2 gatherings in our home, spent time with friends from Africa, watched NBA basketball games because we live about 40 minutes from Oklahoma City - Home of the OKC Thunder (who are in the NBA finals as we speak)....... and then there is my sweet grandbaby to visit as often as I can.  



As if that were not enough - my dear hubby, Edward, was compelled to watch the documentary Forks Over Knives and decided he might actually try to eat vegetables really for the first time in his life.  I'm a big veggie/healthy eater, but I must admit I've let myself go to the dark side the last few years, because I grew tired of cooking different foods for different members of the family.  It was easier to give up than to keep throwing good food away when no one, but me, wanted to eat it.  Also when Edward lost his job, it was cheaper to buy junky stuff than to keep fresh food on hand.  I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am that Edward is seeing the importance of healthy eating and trying to make some changes in his diet.  It certainly has renewed my enthusiasm, so I've been spending extra time in the kitchen preparing meals with many more plant ingredients and fewer animal based ingredients.  And while I really have been a little too busy to sit down at the computer and write much, I've been taking pictures all along the way and am excited to share the changes going on around here.

So, where does the Gazpacho come in?  Well, if you have never had Gazpacho or do not know what it is - it is a veggie based cold soup.  The ingredients for it are quite varied from recipe to recipe, so beyond its definition of being a cold veggie soup, there really is not ONE taste associated with it.

This Gazpacho recipe is from a friend who serves it with corn chips, so it is more like a salsa.  It is wonderful to eat just as a salad, or soup, but it is also delicious on top of grilled chicken breast.  Regardless of how you eat it, I hope you will give it a try.  It really is a satisfying veggie dish, and it is chocked full of good nutrients.


Gazpacho

Ingredients:

1-3 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 1/2 Tbs. Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Fresh Garlic, pressed
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1  4 oz. Can Sliced Black Olives
1  4 oz. Can Green Chilies
4-5 Roma Tomatoes, diced (or use any variety)
4-5 Green Onions, chopped
1/4 - 1/2 C. Cilantro, chopped
1 Avocado, diced
Serrano Chili Peppers, if desired for heat

Blend together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  Mix in the vegetables.  That's it!  Eat and Enjoy!  Of course it is very forgiving, so add whatever ingredients and amounts that appeal to you.

If you need a little motivation to eat healthier, Forks Over Knives will certainly make you think.  We downloaded a copy to watch from Amazon.

If you make Gazpacho - I'd love to hear what ingredients you use.  I need all the ideas I can get.  Also, have you seen Forks Over Knives?  What did you think?

Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)