Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Naked Ladies!!!

Here in the South we have the most amazing flower.  It is the Belladonna Lily, but everyone in these parts just calls them Naked Ladies.


The reason we affectionately call them Naked Ladies is because of how they grow.  In the spring, the first greenery many of us see comes in the form of long, slender-leaved fountains, similar to those of daffodils - only larger.  They pop up from the ground all over town and seem to bring about spring almost instantly.  



But then the greenery all withers away....
and you forget all about them......


Until late July, when like magic the entire town is covered in the most gorgeous, pink bouquets!  The funny thing is though, the flowers have no leaves.  No leaves at all!  Just tall naked stems.....


And thus, we call them Naked Ladies.


Have you seen these lilies before?
Aren't they interesting and fantastic?

These particular lilies are growing in my backyard.
I want to bring them in the house, but I so love looking
out my windows and seeing them - I just can't.

Thanks for stopping by the Tub,

Ellie

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention it - I had never heard of these flowers before (but, then, I don't know much about a lot of things floral), but my mother-in-law was in town this week and pointed them out to me, telling me the exact information you just described. These are so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should grow some, Angela, if you can find the bulbs. They are super easy.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)