Thursday, October 25, 2012

Old Sewing Cabinet to Federalist Side Table


  
Last year I found the exact Singer sewing machine model that my mom owned, and the one I grew up sewing on - at a garage sale for $25.  I already had a sewing machine, but mine is a newer model and doesn't sew nearly as well as mom's machine did.  It was in pristine condition, and I couldn't resist buying it.  The cabinet it came in, however, was small and nothing special.  In fact, I almost pitched it - except the frugality in me wouldn't allow it.

It sat in the garage, or a kid's room, until one day when I shopped around my house looking for a side table to put in the Dining Room.  As soon as I saw it,  B-I-N-G-O.


I sanded it, but just enough to rough up the surface.  Then I painted it with 2 coats of Clark + Kensington Paint in flat India Ink.  To learn more about this paint, go here.  I, then, rubbed on a coating of wax to seal it.

The simplicity and lines of the little black table looked great, but I decided it would be fun to dress it up a little more.


So, I painted some Anaglypta 3D wallpaper border (garage sale - $1) and trimmed it to fit the front of the table.


Since I wasn't sure if I would want to keep this look forever, I did not glue the wallpaper onto the table, but instead buttered a layer of Annie Sloan wax and adhered the border to the table with that.  So far it is staying on just fine.  I don't know what kind of mess I'll have when I take it off, but you never know until someone tries, right?


Finally, I added this oversized knob I found at Hobby Lobby for $3.50 on their 1/2 price sale.  Ok, so it's not a very federalist knob, but I like the look anyway.


This truly was a Junk2Jewel makeover for me.  I didn't like that little cabinet at all, but now I think it's perfect in the Dining Room.


Oh, and the sewing machine?  It didn't really work at first, because it had been sitting in storage for many years.  It took a little effort to clean it thoroughly and get all the gears oiled up, but now it purrs like a kitten.  It is such a joy to sew on this machine again.

Thanks for stopping by the tub today!



  

5 comments:

  1. Using the wallpaper is such a great idea! It turned out really pretty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a genius. I'm kicking myself now for getting rid of a sewing machine table I had. We have a small mfg. single wide home so not alot of room for extra things. We don't have dining room or even eating area at all.
    I absolutely love what you did with that sewing table. You have a great talent, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do next. I'm a new subscriber, came over from Under the table and Dreaming. Sure would love to find some of that anaglypta wallpaper. Happy 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh....bummer. Thanks for subscribing - I am truly honored. I hope you find some of the wallpaper, too. I see extra rolls of it in these parts at yard sales all the time. Happy Hunting and Happy 2013 to you, as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate hearing others' thoughts.

      Delete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)