Friday, January 30, 2015

Yummy, Crunchy, Easy Microwave Peanut Brittle

 

Peanut brittle can be a tricky candy to make.  If you don't cook it long enough, it is so gooey it can almost pull your teeth out.  If you overcook it, the sugar and peanuts burn and it tastes awful.  I think most people just purchase peanut brittle when they are hungry for it, rather than go through all that hassle.

But what if you could make it hassle free?  My mom had a great microwave recipe that turned out perfect peanut brittle every time - for her.  For me.......not so much.  As the years have passed, microwave times and temps have changed, and so her recipe did not work with modern models.  I'm happy to say that after many trial and error batches - I can share a recipe that I think will give you wonderful results each time you make it.

I use a large, 8 Cup, heavy, glass bowl to cook my peanut brittle.  It gets very hot and it is helpful to see the color, so I would recommend something similar.

1      Cup Granulated White Sugar
1/8   tsp. Salt
1/2   Cup Light Corn Syrup
1      Cup Raw Peanuts
1      tsp. Butter
1      tsp. Vanilla
1      tsp. Baking Soda

Butter a baking sheet and set aside.  Mix together the white sugar, salt, and light corn syrup.  Microwave on High for 2 minutes.  (All the microwave times are on High.)  Stir in the cup of peanuts, then microwave for 3 minutes.  Stir in the butter and vanilla, and microwave on 1 1/2 minutes; stir, then microwave for 1 additional minute.  Add the teaspoon of baking soda and GENTLY stir until light and foamy.  Immediately pour the mixture onto the greased baking sheet and quickly spread it a bit.  Let it cool completely, then break it apart.  The back of a soup spoon does a nice job for breaking.

Think you want to try this recipe?  It turns out so yummy, and there are no candy thermometers, no endless stirring on the stove top, no plunging spoons into cold water........and no guesswork.  It's such delicious peanut brittle, I know you're going to want to make it for more holidays than just Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)