Monday, July 25, 2011

2 Good 2 B Forgotten - Salsa

We used to have a Mexican restaurant in our town that was a D-I-V-E, but very delicious.  Their salsa was different from most Mexican restaurants, and I really couldn't get enough of it.  So much so, in fact, that I tried to create my own version at home.  Thank goodness I did, because they are no longer in business.  I really have no idea if this is how they made it, but the taste comes close enough to satisfy my cravings.  It is so simple and especially wonderful in winter when tomatoes are out of season.



Ingredients:


15 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
15 oz. Water
1/3-1/2 Medium Onion, diced - 1/2 inch
1-2 Garlic Cloves, peeled
1-1 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
1-2 tsp. Salt, or to taste


Dice the onion, then cover with cool water mixed with 1 Tbs. salt.  Set aside for 10 minutes.



Add all other ingredients to a blender, and blend on high for a full minute.  Start the blender on low, and work up to high to prevent the liquid from spilling out of your blender.

Rinse the onions and add to the other blended ingredients. Serve with chips and as a condiment on white rice, enchiladas, etc.


This salsa tastes even better the next day.  Keep in mind, however, that it does get hotter with each passing day. Season to taste, but if you are making to eat in a few hours or the next day, go light on the  red pepper. Also, you will have terrible garlic breath after eating this salsa, but that doesn't seem to stop us.  This was true with the original, too.

Does anyone local know how El Burrito made their salsa?  I'd love for you to share, if you know.  If not, I hope you enjoy my version.

Thanks for stopping by,


Ellie



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)