Thursday, December 6, 2012

Heirloom Stockings and 101 Dalmations

When my children were very young, we decided it would be fun to let each person in our family choose the fabric and embellishments for their own stocking.  Now, when you give this kind of freedom and choice to a 3 year old little boy, you shouldn't be surprised when their stocking looks something like this:

 

 At the time, I tried to talk him into something a little more classic and traditional, but that kind of stuff doesn't appeal to a little boy.  So, a bright pink 101 Dalmations stocking it was!  I'm sure it will not surprise you that that same little boy was begging me to make him something different a few years down the road.   Oh how that bright pink stocking stood out from the rest -  but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.  It was so fun letting him pick what he liked at 3.  I did allow him a re-do a few years ago, and this is his stocking now:


He went more traditional this time, but notice we did have to add a patch for his future college.  He is reading over my shoulder as I write and wants to make sure everyone understands that he does not use the pink stocking anymoreHa, Ha!

Here are some of the other unique stockings we hang on our mantel:





I'm anxious to make a new stocking for my grandbaby, but she is only 7 months old and I want her to be able to choose her own fabric.  Until then, she can use the teddy bear stocking that her other uncle refuses to use anymore.  Why do they have to grow up so fast?


If making stockings is something you would like to do for your family and you need some help, please leave a comment and let me know.  I can post a tutorial.

Thanks for stopping by the tub,

Ellie

1 comment:

  1. I made cross stitched stockings for all my grandkids. The first boy's was a teddy angel. He's 18 now and I told him he didn't have to keep using a baby stocking but he's says it wouldn't be Christmas without it. I wonder what some future wife will think of this guy and his teddy stocking!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)