Monday, September 26, 2011

A Treasure From My Dad

Have you heard this before 
about the Christmas Story?

What would have happened 
if it had been three Wise Women
instead of three Wise Men?
They would have asked directions,
arrived on time,
(unlike the movies, they didn't really
show up until Jesus was about 2 years old)
helped deliver the baby,
cleaned the stable, 

made a casserole,
and brought practical gifts!


Snicker!  Well, I don't know about this, but I do know that a world without women would be a world void of much thoughtfulness.

Within 6 months of when I lost my mom to breast cancer,  my dad remarried.  She was not a woman he had known at all while my mom was living, but someone he met with the help of my sister.  In all honesty, while I liked her very much, my grief was still so raw and heavy that it was hard to accept her.  However, as I began to see that my dad was such a lonely man who needed a companion - and not this betrayer of my mom's memory - I wanted this relationship for him.  

Little did I realize at the time, but dad marrying this lovely lady kept him a part of my life.  My dad was a work-a-holic and I truly believe had it not been for my stepmom, I would have rarely seen him.  She, on the other hand, has no boundaries for loving.  While she already had 5 children of her own, she opened her heart and added 4 more heartbroken, young women to her nest.  Not only did dad need her, but we did too.



One day when dad and Mom Too came for a visit, they brought me the most lovely gift.  They had found this perfect piece of Hull Pottery in a store and purchased it, because I like Hull Pottery and have a small collection of it.   Now you must understand, my father was a practical, work-all-the-time, never-had-much-money, did-not-give-many-gifts kind of dad.  For him to purchase a piece of collectible pottery just for me.......well I was overwhelmed. 


Needless to say, it is one of my greatest earthly treasures. It is so special to me and I keep it on my dresser to remind me of my dad, but also of the woman who kept him in my life. I don't know if it was dad's idea to buy the gift for me or if she nudged him to do it (I certainly have my suspicions), I only know that realizing I was still special as someone's daughter was the real, priceless gift they gave me that day. The vase could be broken tomorrow - and I would be a little sad - but the real gift that was given can never be taken away.

Mom Too and Dad
They had 10 wonderful years together
before Dad also passed away.

Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie

And can I just say that if Mom Too had been one of the Wise Women, it wouldn't have been no stinkin' casserole.  She would have cooked enough for all the shepherds, the angels, heck the whole town of Bethlehem.......and I can promise you there would have been dessert!

8 comments:

  1. Very touching story-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely dessert! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story!! The display is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story...I am glad that you opened your heart to Mom Too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story. You are a lucky lady to have had two special women in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a very lucky lady. My mom was the best mom ever, and I could not have hand picked a better step-mom. I rarely get to see her anymore, but I adore her as much as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. I can see why this piece means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie, This is such a beautiful and touching post. I truly appreciate you sharing this at the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)