Here are her instructions, or you can go to her link here:
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32 oz) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 1 (5 oz) package grated parmesan cheese and more for serving
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 thin French baguette
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
PreparationIn a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.
Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.
For the garlic crostini:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut bread into 1/4-inch round slices. Place on baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; place in oven and bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Rub each side with smashed garlic cloves.
The only things I do different from the recipe are:
1. I replace half of the ground beef with Italian
2. I skip the bread/cheese melting bit.
I like it better without that.
3. I omit the green pepper