Friday, January 25, 2013

Sushi - The Lavender Tub Way - Sushi Rice

In order to make sushi, you need to have the right kind of rice cooked properly, to have a nice, sticky rice to work with.


 This is the rice I use (found at Wal-Mart), but I do not follow the instructions on the package.  Instead, this is the method I prefer:

These instructions will yield 3 cups of rice  


Thoroughly rinse 1 cup of rice in cool water until the water runs clear.  Drain well.  


Place the rice in a heavy saucepan and add 1 1/4 cups cold water and stir.  Heat on high until the rice comes to a boil, stirring frequently to unstick the rice from the bottom of the pan.  By the time it boils, much of the water will be absorbed and the rice should look like this:


Cover the pan and reduce the heat.  Simmer for 20 minutes - and do not lift the lid.


After 20 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and let it rest with the lid on for 10 more minutes.


Fluff the rice, but do not scrape the rice off the bottom of the pot.  It will be too crunchy for sushi making.  At this point, put the rice in a non-metal bowl and add 1-2 Tbs. of seasoned rice vinegar for flavor.  My family seems to have a huge aversion to the smell of vinegar, so I don't always add this.  It does add a nice flavor, though.


I usually make this recipe X4 to have plenty of leftover rice.  Of course, I only add vinegar to the amount I plan to use in the sushi.  It does keep well in the refrigerator, and you can make sushi again from this batch if you warm it and let it cool back down to room temperature.  It doesn't handle as well as when it is fresh, but almost.

I have also created a sushi salad from the leftover rice that I will share with you in another post.

Now, on to the sushi.  You can find a tutorial on how I make it here.  

Thanks for stopping by the tub!

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)