Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Children and Doll Clothes

I have always had a deep fascination and love of fabric.  It just makes me really happy!  I remember as a very young girl looking through my mom's scrap bag savoring each piece of fabric, appreciating its beauty, and imagining what it could be used for.  Years and years later, I still find myself totally captivated by it.  


Being a pastor's wife and mother to four children, my mom was too busy to sit next to me and teach me, step by step, how to sew.  She did, however, recognize my passion for it and gave me lots of material, trims, buttons, old socks, scarves, etc. with which I could create to my heart's content. Although I often left them messy and disorganized, her sewing machine and tools were never off-limits to me.


I suppose like most children, my first sewing desire was to make beautiful things for my babies, Barbies, and stuffed animals.  So, with mom's encouragement and assistance, I began my young career as a seamstress of doll clothes.  Since that time I have moved on to clothing, home dec, curtains, even wedding dresses, but it all began with clothes for my dolls.


How wonderful that the apples do not fall far from the trees.  When my daughter was a little girl, I have a memory of a friend coming over and being shocked at the condition of my house.  As I stopped to notice for myself, I saw ribbons, buttons, silk flowers and stuffed animals strewn everywhere.  We had been so consumed with our creating, I didn't even realize there was a mess.  It's one of my favorite memories of all time.


The doll clothes pictured throughout this post are part of a collection I sewed for my daughter's Christmas 15 years ago.  The last picture is of a doll in a dress I made for my daughter's wedding.  Can it really be that those days are already gone?  As I dressed and undressed the doll for these pictures, my heart went to a time when dressing dolls and Barbies for little ones was the biggest task of my day.


Whatever you love, allow your children to be part of it even if it's messy.  Nurture their interests and don't be tempted to do too much for them.  Above all, never forget; unlike dolls, children do grow up.  Take the untidiness in stride and savor every moment.


Thanks for stopping by.......and please forgive the mess!




Ellie








No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)