Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dollar Store Tiles

I found these tiles in the garden section of the Dollar Store. That sounds kind of funny, the garden section.  They are a little wonky and the paint color is hideous, but I thought they could be upcycled into something nice enough.




Considering the pits and cracks in the design of the tiles, I decided to use three colors of paint to try for an authentic stone look. 


Using leftover latex paint from our home office, I dipped one corner of my brush in brown and the other corner in a rusty color.  I tapped the brush on a paper plate to get some of the paint off and then applied the paint diagonally, but rather randomly, in a pouncing and brushing manner.  I didn't want too much paint to collect down in the cracks and letters, so my brush was not very wet. 






When this coat was dry, I took very dark brown paint, thinned it with a little water and brushed the entire piece with the thinned paint.  The ratio was about .25 to 1 with the water being the .25.  Then with an old rag, I dabbed and wiped the dark brown paint off.  I like to do this gently at first, checking the design as I go. 






What do you think?  Pretty simple, yet pretty dramatic.  The tiles look kind of fall-ish to me.  Perhaps I'll do an antique white or grey, or maybe green for summer.  Got any ideas?  I'd love for you to share.  






Thanks for stopping by,


Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)