Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Decorating With Used/Thrift Items

In the economic times we live in, it can be very difficult to have much money left over for decorating.  With that extra 2% of taxes newly taken out of our checks (for my US readers), most of us are probably feeling that sting a little more right now. 

While decorating isn't a life or death necessity, I would argue that it is beneficial to have a space on this planet that is relaxing and as pretty, comfortable, and welcoming as we can responsibly make it, for our re-energizing and for blessing others.  Regardless of how much money our family has made at any given time, buying items secondhand has always been my favorite way to  
Make my Home.

  
I like knowing that I'm making something purposeful again and rescuing it from a landfill.  I'm thrilled that secondhand items already come with their scratches and dents - so a few more do not matter.  I love spending time with my dearest friends, sisters, step-mom or hubby to find the amazing treasures that are just waiting to be uncovered.  Mostly, though, I'm thankful that we can use the money we save for more important things like missions, hurricane relief, anti-slavery, activities with our kids, paying off debt, etc., etc.  By the way, as of December, we became debt free with the exception of our mortgage.  No student loans, car debt, credit cards - nothing.  Living with secondhand furnishings to be debt free is  
Absolutely Worth It!

Please don't mistake that secondhand decorating means shabby in a "not-so-shic" way.  It can be very beautiful.  The maid's room I've been sharing over the past couple of posts is decorated almost exclusively secondhand.  For those of you who decorate this way, you know what I'm talking about.  For those of you who don't, I thought I'd share an actual account of how much it cost us to furnish this room:
  
   
 
 


 

Did any of that surprise you?

We have a funny story in our family:  My son-in-law once asked my daughter while they were dating if she had ever been to a garage sale.  Unable to hold back her laughter, my daughter boasted proudly, "Why honey, I was raised poor, white trash!"  Well, whatever that means - and who really knows - she was raised to appreciate the value of a hard earned dollar enough not throw it away on only brand new things that depreciate in value the minute you take them out of the store.

I'll bet most of you reading this love to thrift, too.  I love your 2 cents and hope you'll share your thoughts and favorite treasure finds with the others stopping by the tub.

Ellie

2 comments:

  1. LOVE to thrift. It's pretty bad when I know when the truck arrives at the Goodwill store!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty funny! They closed the Goodwill in our town - so disappointing. You have a neat business - thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)