Wednesday, January 23, 2013

From Milk Stool to Tutu Vanity Chair

When I was decorating the Little Princess Room, found here, I decided to dress up the old milking stool we were using with the vanity table.  I really liked the stool just the way it was - with paint chipping a bit and all, but I also knew it would be fun to give it a tutu skirt to dress it up a bit.


To make the tutu, I took a spool of bridal tulle we had left over from my daughter's wedding.  The price says $9.99, but it's from Hobby Lobby so I'm sure we purchased it for about $5.  The entire stool took about 1 spool.


Rather than measure and cut all the strips to the correct height, I found a board that was already cut to that measurement and wound the tulle around it.  If you don't have a board, perhaps a piece of cut cardboard would work.


Lavender Tub Tip:  Notice I ran my camera cord along the top of the board as I wrapped.  This makes it so much easier to get my scissors under the tulle to make the cuts.  Any cord or dowel would do the trick.


Once I wrapped what I thought would make enough strips, I cut through the tulle on one end only of the wrapped board.  Trust me, the camera cord makes this a snap.  Just be careful not to snip your cord.


Then, taking all of my even lengths of tulle, I tied a knot in each one.  I pulled the knot completely, but not tight.


Finally, I divided the perimeter of the chair in halves and hot glued the strips onto the edge of the seat.  I find it is best to eye where to glue by looking at where you've already glued strips, and then gluing a new strip at the mid-point between the two - continuing this method until the stool seat edge is evenly decorated.  For me, this works better than measuring.  


I want to be able to remove the strips easily at some point, but also have them stay in place until I'm ready to remove them.  Hot glue is perfect for this application.  


I really like how the knots almost give the seat the appearance that is has pearls around the edge.  I'm debating whether to put an added layer below for more fluff, but I'm not sure it really needs it?  What do you think?

I'm always so glad when you stop by the tub!

Ellie


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this was my favorite part of the room!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I wondered which tutorial you were hoping for. Would this be adorable in pink? I might have to make one. If you do, send me a pic.

      Delete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)