Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fun Free Photo Effects From Ribbet

One of my favorite things to come out of blogging has been that I've learned more about taking and editing pictures.  I'm still not a wiz on Photo Shop or anything, but I have become pretty familiar with some of the on-line editors - and at least I can say I'm better than I once was.  I have a long way to go, but that's part of the fun of this journey.

Today, I thought I'd share a couple of techniques I've figured out that might be fun for you to use in your crafting.  I used the free on-line editor called Ribbet to create these effects, but you could achieve the same results using PicMonkey.  PicMonkey used to be free, but they started charging for several of their features a few weeks ago.  At some point, they all need to make some money, but for now Ribbet is still free - hence I am using it these days.

For these projects, I first downloaded some black and white pictures from The Graphics Fairy onto my computer. I thought this Typography piece was especially pretty.

I changed it to this

by following these few simple steps:

1.  Go to ribbet.com and upload the picture you downloaded from The Graphics Fairy

2.  At the top of the screen you will see a tab that says Edit, and under it a link that says Touch -up.  Click that link.

3.  Go to the frog for Eye Color

4.  On the rainbow, move the little white circle until you find a color you like.  I chose a bright teal. 

5.  Slide the brush size to the largest size and then begin coloring your black and white picture with the big circle.  The black on your picture should turn to the color you selected.

Isn't that fun?  It's like when we used to paint those pictures with plain water and the paint would magically appear.

Here is another example:
 
 

For a final fun effect, follow all of the steps above, except for #3.  Instead of Eye Color, choose the Blush frog.  Instead of painting your ink, this will instead paint your background.


Wouldn't this make a cute pillow to print on fabric?

If you have any trouble with this, let me know and I will try to make it more clear.  Otherwise, I hope this gives you some new crafting resources that are completely free.

Thanks for stopping by the tub,

Ellie         

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)