Monday, January 14, 2013

Non-Sew Poufy Valance

Yesterday, I posted a room reveal on a very frou-frou bedroom. 

 
 To see the entire post, click here.

Today, I thought I'd show you just how easy it was to make the poufy valance, so that you can make one, too, if you like.  It really is super, super simple.

For starters, you will need to purchase fabric that is 2 1/2 to 3 times as long as the rod you wish to attach it to.  I would suggest looking for a fabric with some body to it.  This means is has a little stiffness and will hold its shape.  Bunch some up in your hand to see if it holds a nice shape, or just falls over limp.  I purchased this fabric off of the $1/yd table at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago.  

Now, I know there are proper ways of gathering and doing things, but Lavendears - don't you just want to make something and get it in place already?  That's how we really roll, isn't it?


With that in mind, you won't be too shocked when I tell you I got out some zip ties and just quickly attached the fabric to my rods.  I started by folding my fabric in half lengthwise, bunching it up there, and attaching it my rod.  Pull the zip tie tight, but not choking tight.  The most time consuming part of this project is fussing the fabric after you get it attached, so it is good if there is a tiny bit of give under the zip tie.


Next, I took each end of the length of fabric and attached it to the ends of the rods, folding it in on itself by about 3".  You don't want to see a raw edge at the end of your rod.


To complete the valance, I held up my rod and grabbed the fabric at the lowest part of the loop that hung from it.  I bunched the fabric at that point and attached it to the rod at the mid-point between the other two zip ties.  Repeat this pattern until you have attached all of your fabric in poufs the size you like.


Lavender Tub Tip:  When you are bunching the fabric in your hand, start at the side of the fabric at the point you plan to bunch and allow your hand to "chew" the fabric into it, rather than just grab it all at once.  It will help your gathers look much prettier.


And now FLUFF, FUSS, FUSS.
 

Now, wasn't that simple and the results stunning?  I thought some of you might like this project.

I want to hear your questions and congratulate your results, so please let me know!

Thanks for stopping by the tub,

Ellie

Parties I Will Be Linking To:

6 comments:

  1. That is just beautiful--great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room is gorgeous, please show tutorials on everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! Thanks Cindy. Anything in particular? I will try.

      Delete
  3. Great room and brilliant way to handle the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)