Sunday, August 14, 2011

Decorative Dress-Ups for Fall, Part 2

In Decorative Dress-Ups for Fall, Part 1, found here, I shared a couple of ideas on how to dress up candles to create fall decorations that are personalized to your style. Using scrapbook papers and free printables, you can create any decorating scheme in the colors you prefer, literally for pennies.


Another idea is to dress up tin cans for candle pedestals or flower vases.  Glass jars would be great too.


These graphics all came from The Graphics Fairy.  You can find a link on the right side of my blog.


The orange and candy cane cans were old advertisements printed on scrapbook paper.


This pumpkin was one of The Graphics Fairy's Halloween designs printed on white paper.


Wouldn't this be a cute container to hold candy?


Cut the sticky portion off of a sticky note and use as removable tape to prevent damage to your candle wraps.  So far it is working great on the candles, but not the cans.




To dress up this glass hurricane, I printed one of the monograms featured in Part 1 onto transparency film, and then just slipped it into the container.  I think this would look great with a rusty orange candle or a bunch of mini pumpkins.


This is the product I used.  I have had it for a while.  Do they even make this anymore?

A few final thoughts:  The candle wraps I made were about 4" x 9.5".  To wrap candles that might actually burn, consider making the wraps thinner and don't cover the candle completely.  Also, there are so many fun things you can do to embellish them.  I'd love to hear some of your ideas.

These wraps actually have more tea staining on them and match the candles better than what shows in the picture.  Bummer!  They look much cuter in person. 


 I almost can't bring myself to post this picture.  This is what my dwarf spruce looks like today.  We've had it for 10 years, and it's sad to see it go.  While it received enough water, the high temps were just too much.  Sadly, it looks like we've lost many trees and shrubs in Oklahoma this year.

Now you can see why we are tired of summer and ready for fall.  Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie


15 comments:

  1. Love your fall ideas, but not ready yet. (I am a teacher haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I completely understand. If it weren't so hot here, neither would I. Enjoy the rest of your time off, and thanks for being a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I hate winter so I'm always sad to see fall arrive but your great ideas are inspiring and so lovely it almost makes me forget what fall is heralding :) Lots of great ideas I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one that looks just like this!! Can't wait to get it replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a tough summer for a lot of our gardens. Sorry about your little spruce. I do love that fall is right around the corner. Love what you did with the tin cans, the candle holders are adorable!
    Marianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your ideas - especially the print on clear transparency. Glad to see I'm not the only one who's ready for Fall - my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love these ideas! Thank you for sharing, I actually have some of these graphics from Graphics Fairly too and love this idea.
    I'm also so sorry about your little Blue Spruce...so sad but Mother Nature is so cruel sometimes...you could have the "summer" we haven't had, its been rainy and cold for the most part...
    Terry
    PS now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great. I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Take care Anu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you've done with cans, and will now rush out to my recycling bin and take back each one I've recently put there :) So sorry about your tree, the temps/drought this year have been brutal. Thanks for sharing, I'm your newest follower from Bunny Jean's blog hop and would love a follow back.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas for "sprucing" up your candles... sorry to see that picture of the little dead spruce.

    Thanks for joining the Bunny Hop party this week :)

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are great ideas. I especially love the hurricane idea its so clever, thanks so much for sharing. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Ellie, Welcome to blogging. I totally love Fall and this is so very inspiring. New friend here. I host a weekly newbie party that I would love to have you. I also have tips and tutorials that would really benefit new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fall ideas are awesome! I am sorry to see your trees have been taking by the crazy heat. I sympathize from Texas! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your ideas -- I think I pinned almost all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. poor spruce! i'm afraid ours are on their way out, too. i love the candy corn paper you printed on!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)