Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two Sparrows



I believe the most beautiful decorations of a home are not necessarily those things that cost a lot of money.  Sure you can get some very handsome pieces from Pottery Barn, Anthropologie, or Crate & Barrel, and I think if you have your eye on a special piece - you should go for it.  I'm just a huge believer, however, that our homes should be a place of respite and comfort, where mistakes can be made, and if they don't look like the latest magazines - it's OK.  

Your home should look and feel like you.  

And when you're at peace with that, you will be much more open to having people over and blessing them with yourself and your home.


One of my very favorite decorations is this little framed Bible verse and coin.  The coin was given to me by a friend who lived in South Africa for awhile.  She told me that the poor people there found this Bible verse to be especially touching to them.  They understand that this one cent coin with the two little sparrows on it has virtually no value.  There is almost nothing you can buy with it alone.  It really makes the point to them that if God truly does care about something as worthless as the two little sparrows on this coin, then how much more does God care about them.

While we went through our two years of unemployment, this coin and verse became so important to me, in ways it could never have before.  I truly had to meditate on these words and then make a choice:  Am I going to believe this, or not.

Thankfully, the days of no income are over, at least for now.  We are still recovering in many ways and certainly not living as we did before, but we made it.  As I look back, I am overwhelmed with God's goodness for my family.  

Needless to say, you do not have enough money in the world to afford my worthless little framed coin.  Isn't that ironic?  It is that precious of a reminder to me.

How about you?  What are the decorations in your home that really matter?  The ones that say, "This is who I am, and I want to share a part of that with you."

Perhaps you need to hear today that you are worth so much more than this priceless coin and two little sparrows.  You are precious to me, and you are precious to God.

Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Ellie for sharing that story. It's good to have faith, especially when when life becomes hard.

    The framed verse and the gifted coin are priceless.

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    btw, I have my new Bunny Jean's Decor button now, would you be so kind as to replace the old one? The new one has my blog's name written on it and is sloghtly larger :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)