Friday, April 13, 2012

Ham Balls


I learned to make Ham Balls when I lived in Iowa.  I'm not sure if this is a regional dish, but Iowa is the only place I've had them - and it seems everyone has a recipe for them there.

This is a great Sunday lunch or company recipe.  It certainly is a favorite of my men.

 
 Ingredients:

1 1/4 lbs. Ground Ham  (In Iowa I was able to purchase this 
     at the meat counter.  Here in Oklahoma, I have to grind 
     my own.)
1 lb. Ground Pork
1/2 lb. Ground Beef or Turkey
1 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs (about 9 full crackers)

Sauce

1 Can Tomato Soup
1 Cup Brown Sugar (or less, if preferred)
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1 tsp. Dry Mustard



I start by grinding the graham crackers in my kitchen machine with the meat grinder attached.  Next I grind the ham, followed by the pork - if I'm not using ground pork.  (With the pink slime thing - I am preferring to grind my own.)  If you do not have a meat grinder, you can finely chop deli ham using a food processor.  This really does not take very long.


Combine the ground meats with the cracker crumbs and the milk, mixing well with your hands.  Using a 1/3 measuring cup, measure and shape the mixture into large meatballs.


Finally, stir the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the meatballs.  Bake the Ham Balls at 350 degree Farenheit for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the meatballs register 170* on a meat thermometer.

Ham Balls are so simple and are always a big hit anytime I serve them.  Mmmmm.......yummy!


Thanks for stopping by,

Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your ideas and comments. Thanks for taking the time :)